Labels

Art (16) Aversion (16) Cognition (16) Darkness and Light (7) Family (10) Freestyle (5) Friendship (10) Guilt (9) Happiness (14) High School (3) Inner Shadows (17) Letters (21) Life (25) Lost (16) Love (40) My Quotes (6) Nature (4) Photogrophy (4) Poetry (34) Realization (8) Stories (12) Turmoil (21)

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Wendy's Look Book

I'd like to take this time out to share a short story that Wendy posted on her blog. It struck me right into the center of the heart. A flood of distant memories flooded back in my mind when I read it. Memories that I've forgotten. I'm sadden by the fact that I had such memories, but happy to know that I've come far from it now. This is her story:


Two weeks ago, I had the absolute pleasure of attending a fundraiser hosted by David Yurman for P.S. Arts.  Before working with incarcerated youths, I was a volunteer art/science teacher at undeserved elementary schools in the Bay Area for over 4 years.  The moment I read P.S. Arts’ mission, I knew I had to attend the charity event.  In my personal experience as a teacher, I truly believe that creative expressions and art are invaluable to early development.  Children may have difficulty expressing themselves through words, thus having an outlet such as music, drawing, painting, play writing, etc, is crucial for their early communication and cognitive development.  A few years ago, I was working with an 8-year-old boy who was identified as having behavior problems.  Instead of paying attention in class, he lived in a fantasy world.  After spending a couple of weeks with him, I noticed his drawings.  He drew superhero comic characters.  One day I asked, “is that you?”  He replied, “Yup!  I’m a superhero.”  Entertaining him, I continued, “who are you saving?”  My student answered, “my mom from the big guys.”  At that moment, I realized that he was communicating his unhealthy home environment via comic drawings.  I immediately spoke to his primary teacher and expressed my concerns of possible abuse that was happening in his home.  Working with undeserved communities, I find that children often communicate and reflect through art.  To me, art is more than a creative pastime, it is a vehicle for adults to understand children’s state of mind and emotionality.

I truly admire Wendy. She makes me want to be a happier person, an she always lightens up my day. Shes that type of person that just makes you want to smile. Not to mention, her smile is just so contagious that you'd have to be heartless to not be touched by it. I wholeheartedly respect and admire her.

Wendy's Blog
Wendy's YouTube Channel






No comments:

Post a Comment

It would mean a lot if you tell me what you think.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...